Only God knows the good that can come about by reading one good Catholic book. - St. John Bosco
August is often considered the transitional month in our seasonal calendar. It is the time of the year we begin to wind-down from our summer travels and vacations and prepare for Autumn — back to school, fall festivals, harvest time, etc.
As we start to return to a more normal schedule it may be the time to consider what we have on our bookshelves for the coming year. Below is a list of the 25 of the most recognized Catholic books that every family should read.
The list must start off with Sacred Scripture and the Catechism--if you read nothing else on this list, make sure you read these. Then consider recognized classics of Christian theology, history and literature, commonly recommended spiritual reading, and a few examples of great Catholic novels. How many have you read?
Here is a start to begin your reading list. The Book Store has most of these ready to begin your treasury of Catholic literature. Remember the Gift Shop will also do special orders for most Catholic books if not on our shelves.
1. The Bible
2. Catechism of the Catholic Church
4. City of God
5. The Didache
6. An Introduction to the Devout Life
8. Life of Christ
9. Apologia Pro Vita Sua
11. Story of a Soul by St Theresa of Lisieux
12. Interior Castle
13. Sayings of the Desert Fathers
14. Humanae Vitae by Paul VI
15. Divine Comedy
16. Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
17. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
18. Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc
19. The Everlasting Man
20. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
21. Crossing the Threshold of Hope
22. Against Heresies
23. The Lamb's Supper
24. True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary by De Montfort
25. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy